Thursday, August 6, 2009

Started at Equal Education

Molweni,

Ndiphilile (I am alive/I am doing well) I have started my first week of work at Equal Education. Everything has been good and I am learning my way around the office. I just started on Tuesday, but everyone at the office seems pretty cool. I have been making calls for the most part at this point. Equal Education is preparing for a Youth Career Expo this coming Saturday so a lot of attention is devoted to that. We are also gearing up for our Libraries Campaign, which is to improve/construct libraries in Khayelitsha. Khayelitsha is primarily Black township just outside of Cape Town with probably over 1 million residents (official numbers are pretty sketchy). Only 7% of schools in South Africa have functioning libraries, only 25% of schools in the Western Cape have functioning libraries (the majority of the functioning libraries are suburban fee-charging schools), and in Khayelitsha only 5 of 53 public schools have functioning libraries. So that is what we are currently looking to improve.

Besides that, this weekend, we have quite a bit planned so far. We do not have school or work on Monday due to Women's Day, so we have a 4 day weekend. On Saturday we are going to the Tri-Nations Rugby Cup. The three nations participating are South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. We are going to the game between South Africa and Australia, so it should be a pretty good game. Currently SA is at the top of the tournament with 3 wins and no losses. I am really looking forward to the game. We also plan to go walk around on Long Street on Friday and visit Mzoli's Restaurant in the Gugulethu township on Women's Day.

I hope you are enjoying the warm weather, because here it is 50 and raining.

Talk to you soon. Salani Kakuhle

-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment